Sunday, March 27, 2011

FROM A CASUAL CHILE TRIP INTO THE MEXICAN REVOLUTION

There it is, La Toma de Zacatecas (Capture of Zacatecas), one of the most notable mural paintings of an event in the Mexican Revolution that wasn't done by Diego Rivera.  Honestly, I've done a thorough search to try to find the name of the artist online, but to no avail - vexing, to say the least.
Regardless, I am sure that this image will cross my path again when I make my special one-week historical research junket to Mexico.  I took it from a Mexican Zacatecas website, which assures its users that they are allowed to use the image, so I took their word for it and posted it here for all to see.

As many of you know, for over a decade now I have been spending my own money to make extensive research trips to scores of libraries to research the life of Mexican General Felipe Angeles, who was perhaps the most enigmatic of all of the major participants in the 1910-1920 Mexican Revolution.
In 1914, he was Pancho Villa's artillery commander and chief strategist.  He is depicted in the idealized image above mounted on horseback on Villa's left side.  Directly behind them are Panfilo Natera, from Durango, and other aides.

Anyway, I'm posting the above painting to celebrate my imminent pending trip to central Mexico, invited by a wonderful pair of young Mexican professionals who have been doing research as I have on the life of Felipe Angeles. 

Of course, I've already posted notice of this trip here on my blog, but now as the actual trip draws near, I felt it only right to add details.
General Angeles and an aide, ca. June 1914
(Library of Congress)

I will be flying to Mexico City on April 4th, and will be met by a young professional couple who will be my hosts named Leo and Juany Gutierrez, who live in the city of Pachuca, in the Mexican state of Hidaldo, which is northeast of Mexico City and is the historical home of Felipe Angeles.

Juany and Leo have laid out an incredibly impressive itinerary for my week in Mexico:

4th April:
Meet me at the airport in Mexico City and bring me via autobus to Pachuca, Hidalgo where they will see to having me booked into a local hotel.  Dinner afterwards.

5th April:
After breakfast, a visit to the famed Casasola Library of Revolution pictures, which is in Pachuca, and then a visit to the Rotonda de los Hidalguenses Ilustres, where the remains of Felipe Angeles are interred.  Following that we will examine files at the University State of Hidalgo.

6th April:
After breakfast we will travel to ZacualtipĆ”n, which is the town in Hidalgo where Felipe Angeles was born.  We will visit the home of his birth as well as the town hall to see his birth registration.
Then we will head out further up the road to the town of Molango, Hidalgo to visit its town hall and also the tomb of Colonel Felipe Angeles Melo (father of General Felipe Angeles who fought against both the USA in 1847 as well as against the French intervention in the 1860's).

7th April:
We will travel into Mexico City to access Mexico's Archivo General de la NaciĆ³n.  Juany tells me that I can have access to the archives simply with my passport. It ought to be an engaging day, to say the least!  Of course, we will return to Pachuca by bus in the late afternoon.

8th April:
We will go together by car to Zacatecas, a full day's journey.

9th April:
We will visit the "Museo de la toma de Zacatecas" (Museum of the capture of Zacatecas), which commemorates perhaps the single most significant battle of the Mexican Revolution, which happened in JUne, 1914.  We will also be visiting the "Cerro de la Bufa", which was the small mountain on the city's edge where the artillery of General Angeles broke the resistance of the federal defenders in the Battle of Zacatecas.  There we will see the huge statues of Pancho Villa, Felipe Angeles and Panfilo Natera, the three heroes of the victory.

10th April:
Drive back to Pachuca from Zacatecas.

11th April:
Possibly visit some local sites of interest in Pachuca before Leo and Juany get me back to Mexico City for my flight back to the USA that afternoon.  The picture below shows my dear Mexican hosts, Juany and Leo...


-PICTURE REMOVED BY REQUEST-


No comments: